Housed in one of the city’s most handsome buildings in its heyday, the Kardyl Buildings (which stands at the intersection of Mount Road and General Patters Road), this business house was founded by W.E.Smith in 1868. Its line of activity covered a wide range of products in the pharmaceutical sector. Besides being wholesale and manufacturing druggists, it also dealt with various types of surgical, dental and veterinary instruments. An optical department too was part of the establishment. It was established as a limited company in 1904. In 1925, the business was bought over by Spencer and Co.
Opened in 1897, the magnificent facade of the Kardyl Building comprising of minarets, domes and arches was a sight to behold in its prime. However, with the passage of time and multiple changes in ownership (the LIC being the current owner), this building has sadly been left to decay and is a mere shell of its past glory.