This establishment was first founded in 1915 in Ooty by Kishinchand Chellaram Daryanani, who hailed from a prominent Sindhi family in Madras. Initially into the silk textiles trade, the business seems to have expanded to include a wide variety of departments such as furniture, silverware and footwear. The establishment grew big enough to open an overseas office in Yokohama as early as 1918.
The group established itself across Africa in the succeeding decades, with a Nigerian branch being opened in Lagos in 1923. They also slowly moved from retailing into wholesaling and manufacturing. The Gambia branch was opened in 1958. A shipping business was formed in 1979 in Hong Kong.
The establishment however hasn’t forgotten its roots, with the departmental store in Ooty still functioning.